"Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me."



Tuesday, July 27, 2010

On the road again...

On Wednesday, I will leave for a weeklong trip to Mombasa, where I will get my first look at the Indian Ocean! I will travel with Fr. Chris and two college students that both came from impoverished circumstances and have been helped by the Capuchin friars. One of the students was an orphan in a Nomadic tribe in East Kenya until he was taken in by the friars.

Due to the trip, I will not be able to write for another week. However, when I return, I am sure that I will have some good stories and pictures!

This past week, I have spent my time organizing the details for my teaching at Pumwani Girls' Secondary School. I will teach Math and English to the freshman and sophomores. The students come from one of the poorest areas in Nairobi (many of them live in the slums), so I will have a tremendous opportunity to improve the lives of my students through education. School ends this week and then it will start back up in September, which is when I will begin teaching. During the break period, I will spend the majority of my time helping the people in the Bush. Specifically, I will help them farm!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Farmer Rathke?!? Looooove it!! :D

VMel said...

Zach, I don't know you, but I am a former Aggie (and forever Aggie Catholic) and I came across your blog from reading Marcel's Aggie Catholic blog.

My wife and I just returned from our honeymoon in Kenya about 3 days ago! Now, we were on safari and such but one of the things that my wife and I lament is not having the opportunity to meet more Kenyan people and learn more about their culture. We do know that they are a genuinely happy and good people and the kids are so full of joy.

Your blog draws me more to the people of Kenya. We traveled throughout central and western Kenya, and there seemed to be a lot of Catholics there. And, your account of Nairobi and the small villages make me think back to seeing everything from our safe little safari vehicle.

I would like to help you on your mission. Let me know what we can do. Or funds you may need to raise. I completely understand when you write how the people are poor materially but are rich spiritually.

I will keep checking up on your blog. You are very fortunate to be able to have this experience. May God continue to bless the Kenyan people through you.

Pax,
Vinny

p.s. be mindful as the day for the vote for the new Constitution comes up. Nairobi will most likely be a highly charged city.

Unknown said...

Zach:
Katie forwarded your email to the core. I throughly enjoyed reading about your travels and I love your writing style. I am sure you'll write a book one day! Liz and I are ready to help. Can't wait to hear more!
In Him,
Paul